Tag Archives: heating

How to Troubleshoot 3 Common Heat Pump Problems

heat pump problems

Heat pumps can be among some of the most reliable appliances in your Mobile, Alabama, home. But even the best models need troubleshooting occasionally. Discover ways to troubleshoot common heat pump problems, so that you can quickly restore comfort.

Lack of Operating Power

A heat pump that doesn’t seem to turn on might cause alarm, but you can often resolve this problem with a simple fix. Check that the thermostat is actually on. Then check that it has been set to the correct heating or cooling setting or temperature.

If the heat pump doesn’t eventually power up, check the circuit breaker and reset if necessary. If there is still no power, contact your HVAC contractor for help.

Insufficient Heating or Cooling

When your heat pump’s performance suffers, your home will typically feel uncomfortably warm or cold. Troubleshoot this problem by adjusting the thermostat by five degrees and then monitoring the temperature in your home.

If that adjustment doesn’t have an effect, make sure the vents are open and unobstructed. Next, check the heat pump’s air filter and replace the filter if it is clogged with debris.

Frequent Operating Cycles

To run as efficiently as possible, your heat pump should cycle on and off with relative consistency. Does your heat pump turn on often and switch off after a short cycle? These short running cycles could be signs that the thermostat isn’t calibrated properly or that the heat pump isn’t sized properly for your home.

First, be sure you’ve programmed the thermostat to a sustainable 68 degrees in winter or 75 degrees in summer. If adjusting the thermostat doesn’t get your heat pump working correctly again, call one of our specialists to assess the size of your heat pump and your home’s heating and cooling needs.

Your HVAC system is a complex machine. Many problems could have the same results. It is a good idea to enlist the services of a professional who has the knowledge, tools, and experience.

Do your heating system issues go beyond some of these common troubleshooting problems? Call Keith Air Conditioning, Inc. at 251-476-3610 to speak with one of our heat pump experts today.

3 Heating and Cooling Ratings You Should Know

heating and cooling ratings

If you are interested in upgrading your heating or cooling system, you’re going to come across some important acronyms as you compare systems. Understanding these HVAC system ratings will help you to narrow down your options to the best pick for your Loxley, Alabama, home.

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio – SEER

If you are considering a new cooling system, the SEER will give you some important information about the unit’s efficiency. The SEER is calculated by dividing the cooling output over the course of a season by the seasonal electrical energy input. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient your system. If you have an older system, it may have a SEER of six or lower. However, most systems manufactured today must have a minimum SEER of 14, and some rank in the 20s.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency – AFUE

Central furnaces and boilers are rated using the AFUE. This number represents the ratio of annual heat output to the total fossil fuel energy consumption over the same period. If a furnace has an AFUE of 90 percent, this indicates that 90 percent of the energy from the fuel is converted to heat in the home, while the remaining 10 percent escapes. A mid-range system generally has an AFUE around 80 to 83 percent. High-efficiency systems have an AFUE of 90 or higher.

Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value – MERV

MERV ratings are used for HVAC filters. The lower the number, the less filtration you’re provided. A MERV of four or lower will only filter out particles of 10 pm or more, like dust mites. A MERV between five and eight is most common for residential buildings, filtering out particles as small as 3 microns, like mold spores. Superior residential systems may have a MERV up to 12, which will stop particles 1 microns in size or larger, like lead dust, auto emissions, and Legionella.

If you are considering a new heating or cooling system installation in your home, contact Keith Air Conditioning, Inc. at 251-476-3610 to learn more about your options.