Keep Energy Costs Under Control With These 6 Tips
As a homeowner, one of the biggest challenges is learning how to control energy costs. The secret to lowering your energy usage is to focus on the things that negatively affect your home the most. You can start by following these six easy-to-follow tips:
- Install equipment certified by Energy Star– Your heating and cooling equipment can’t last forever. When a unit begins showing its age, its efficiency will suffer. Once replacement is inevitable, look for new equipment that has been certified by Energy Star. This will ensure the utmost energy efficiency, which will save you money for years to come.
- Ensure proper installation – The most advanced HVAC equipment on the market won’t be very effective if it isn’t properly installed. Instead of doing it yourself, hire a reputable technician whose work will be guaranteed.
- Replace your air filter on a regular basis – When the air filter has been gummed up by dust and debris, the compromised airflow will force the HVAC system to work harder, and to lesser effect. Left unchecked, this can damage your system. Prevent this by switching out the filter when it gets dirty, but don’t wait longer than three months.
- Get a tuneup – If your equipment isn’t old enough for replacement, a yearly service call by a licensed contractor will keep it running efficiently. This will also prolong the life of your system.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat – Problems turning heating and cooling equipment on and off are a thing of the past with the use of a programmable thermostat. You can set the time at which your system operates each day, saving you money in the short-term and long-term.
- Seal home ductwork – Air leakage contributes to a huge waste of energy on a daily basis. A big problem area is your home’s ductwork. To fix the issue, seal any leaks that you find and wrap the ducts in insulation to keep the temperature more consistent.
For more professional advice on how to control energy costs or any other home comfort questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the friendly technicians at Keith Air Conditioning.