With a new year comes new commitments to improve things in your life. Maybe your New Year’s resolution was to improve your eating habits or to get more daily exercise. Perhaps you want to spend more time reading and reduce your use of electronic devices. What about taking better care of your home’s heating and cooling system? Now that is a resolution we can definitely accomplish this year!
A few ways to take good care of your HVAC system and prolong its life as long as possible include:
- Changing the air filter regularly – We recommend changing your air filter at least once a month for optimal efficiency and filtration. Dirty air filters impede the HVAC system from working efficiently and properly, which only strains the equipment. This is especially important if you live in an area with high pollen counts or have family members with allergies.
- Scheduling regular maintenance appointments – We recommend two maintenance appointments each year, one in the spring for your air conditioner and one in the fall for your furnace. Our HVAC contractor cleans and inspects the unit to ensure it is working properly and to assess the need for any repairs.
- Investing in an HVAC maintenance plan – With our HVAC maintenance plans, you receive two inspections per year at a fixed price. You are given priority service in the event of a repair and you have access to emergency air conditioner and heating repair services at no additional charge. Additional features include a 15 percent repair discount on all parts and a one-year guarantee, plus priority service on new system installation if ever needed. This is a great investment for your budget, the integrity of your home and your peace of mind!
With regular maintenance and care, most HVAC systems can last 10-20 years. On average, furnaces tend to last longer (between 15-20 years) than air conditioners (10-15 years).
Even with proper maintenance and care, all HVAC systems are in need of repairs at some point. That is when you have to weigh the cost of the repair versus the cost of replacement and consider what is best for your family and budget. Sometimes pouring money into an old system just isn’t worth it, and the benefits of a new technologically advanced HVAC system, such as efficiency, lower bills and safety, far outweigh the cost of replacement in the long run.
So how do you know when it is time to replace? ENERGY STAR has a helpful list. A few of the telltale signs include:
- Your HVAC system’s age – Again, most HVAC systems last 10-20 years if properly maintained. If your heat pump or air conditioner is more than 10 years old and/or your furnace or boiler is more than 15 years old, it is time to consider replacing them. The good news is you will gain more efficiency with new units.
- Your equipment needs to be repaired often – As the HVAC system gets older, the more repairs it will need. When faced with a repair, make sure you understand how long the repair will last, if you will likely need to have it repaired again for this issue and what it will do to your monthly energy bills. At some point, you will determine that the cost of repairs is not worth it compared to upgrading to a new system. When considering replacement, find out how much you will save on your monthly energy bills and have a clear understanding of what the warranty covers and for how long.
- Higher energy bills – Older HVAC systems are less efficient, so they end up costing you more in your monthly energy bills.
These are just a few of the telltale signs that it is time to replace your HVAC system. Check out the rest on ENERGY STAR’s list.
Whether you are in need of regular maintenance for your HVAC system, a repair or a replacement, Keith Air Conditioning is your go-to resource for all things HVAC. Contact us at 251-517-4437 to discuss your needs today.